Friday, December 26, 2014

The Christmas Wrasse on Christmas Day

   The morning of December 25th dawned bright and clear  here in Kailua.  After a sweltering summer, those of us in our tiny resort community feel blessed with the cooler weather.  Christmas Day was the best of all.
The Author and Sir Galahad Set Out for the Holy Grail
Having been preceded by two days of rain (which Sandra and I truly enjoyed) Christmas Day was cool and the sky was scrubbed clean to a brilliant blue.

   By arrangement, we met our friend Kyle at the pier at 10 AM.  As a non-swimmer for a few more days, Sandra would stay ashore while Kyle and I carried on the Christmas tradition.

    The water was cool and clear as we plunged into the Inner Harbour.  This being Christmas,  the beach in front of the King Kam Hotel (now a Marriot)  was chock-a-block full.  The throng was mostly tourists, sunning, swimming and paddle boarding, but there was a smattering of us locals, as well.  Everyone was good natured as Kyle and I made our way out of the inner harbour, past the jetty, through the paddle boarders and into Kailua Bay.  I'd like to say that the water in the bay was a lot warmer than the inner harbour, but, as Kenneth said on 30 Rock, "Every time I tell a lie, an angel in heaven
Christmas Wrasse  January 30, 2011 Paul Allen's Reef
 loses her wings."  If you are aware of my propensity for prevarication, you might expect to see angels falling faster than the local water temperature.

    Actually, the water temperature wasn't that bad as we reconnoitered in the middle of the inlet.  I asked Kyle if he had seen a Christmas Wrasse as he swam along the shore.  He chose this moment to reveal that he didn't actually know what a Christmas Wrasse looked like.  Up to this point, I had thought of Kyle as a latter day Sir Galahad, he of the Siege Perilous, who would lead us to the Christmas Wrasse, the Holy Grail on this day of the nativity.  While Kyle is extremely competent in the water, my quick description, "the one with the blue and red spots, was probably inadequate to surmount the taxonomic hurdle.  The problem was further aggravated as said wrasse is no longer a common fish.  If you don't know enough to look for a Christmas Wrasse, you probably won't even notice this fast moving fish.
Christmas Wrasse Dec 28, 2010 Kona Makai

     On the far shore of the bay, tucked into the coral we spotted a Zebra Moray.

I saw an eel on Christmas Day/ A Moray Eel that made me Squeal!
I saw an eel on Christmas Day / On Christmas Day in the morning.

    Well. I no longer squeal at eels, so we swam around the corner, still looking for the wrasse with the red and blue spots.  Out on Paul Allen's Reef  proper, the water was clear and kinetic.  This was acceptable, as the Christmas Wrasse, similar to the more uncommon Five Stripe and Surge Wrasses, really likes moving water.  We swam along the edge, the bright sunlight sparkling in the surf, highlighting the Spotted Surgeons that love the splash.  A school of mullets glimmered like tinsel in the swirling shallows.

    Just over half way out I spotted a Christmas Wrasse!  It was a big, beautiful adult swimming a few feet below me along the lava palisade.  I looked up to call Kyle and when I looked down, the fish was gone.  We searched for a couple minutes, but there is a lot of water out there on the PAR and he was no where to be seen.   

I saw a Wrasse on Christmas Day!
A Christmas Wrasse swam up my  (well, you get the idea.)
I saw a wrasse on Christmas Day,
On Christmas Day in the Morning.

 
Porcupinefish  Christmas Day 2014
 
All that singing aside, I'm providing you with the two best pictures that I have taken of the Christmas wrasse.  A couple things you might notice.  First, this is a fast moving fish.  Thus, one does not get a still life caliber photo.  Second, you might just reflect on  when these pictures were taken.  I have not improved on these pictures in almost four years.   Not only is the Christmas Wrasse fast moving, but it isn't getting any more common.  You may recall that on a stormy Christmas Day 2013, Sandra and I couldn't find one. 

     I was sad that  I had been unable to show the Christmas Wrasse to Kyle, but elated that the Good Lord had renewed our covenant for the coming year.  On the way in, we had a fine close look at a Porcupinefish.  And just outside the jetty we enjoyed a Zebra Moray hunting in about ten feet.

     Sandra was waiting for us on shore, all dry and pretty. She was overjoyed by the news of the sighting;  you can rest assured that the Redoubtable SKG knows a Christmas Wrasse when she sees one.
Don't Squeal for the Eel.  He is a shy fellow of good will.

     On Christmas Eve, we went to a caroling service outside the oldest church in Hawaii on Alii drive opposite the palace.  Noting that they were a man short, I nabbed a song booklet, slipped in and sang along.  The last song we sang was O Little Town of Bethlehem.  As the rest of the choir headed into the church, I sang my version of this classic to a non-existant audience.  When I get up early in the morning, or sometimes at night, I look down on the twinkling lights of Kailua and sing these lyrics.  This seems like the right time to share them with you.  

O little town Kailuaville
How still we see thee rise
Upon thy reef in dreamless sleep
The Silent Fish swim by.
 But in the dark depths shineth
The phosphorescent light.
The Sharks and Rays that rest by day
Swim here with us tonight.
Christmas Fish courtesy of Rene Umberger of Save the Fishes

 The keiki dreams of Sugarplums
The Ironman his run.
Praise God for Peace to all the Fish
From here to Kingdom Come.

Until we meet again, may the Dear Good Lord bless you and keep you.  And may he watch over all the fishes that we hold so dear.

jeff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment