Friday, January 3, 2014

Stout Moray Eel and Surge Wrasse

   For those of you who are dedicated to the main thrust of this blog, i.e. interesting fish sightings on the Kona Coast, here are two from the week preceeding New years Day 2014.

Stout Moray Eel, G. eurostus, Kailua Kona Pier 12/13
 On December 30, in the afternoon, we went swimming on the Ironman side of the pier.  It was a great day with lots of neat fish.  On the way in, I saw this eel hunting.  I was not able to put a name on it at the time.  After looking at my photos, I concluded that it was an Unusual Undulated.  One that decided to dress in Argyle socks for the holidays.  Before submitting my half-baked conclusions to youse guys, I decided it was best to ask the experts.  John Hoover said it was a not very stout Stout.  (More like a porter, I suppose.) Jack Randall was more scientific and way more amusing.

Could you stick that finger just a little closer?
   Jeff:

   I believe your foraging moray is Gymnothorax eurostus, the species with the greatest color variation for a moray that I know.  On page 86 in the lower right corner there's a photo I took of a small moray at Midway.  If I had photographed it from the top, it would be similar to your photo.

   The manuscript I wrote on 3 new records of fishes from the Hawaiian Islands with Bruce Mundy was expanded into a large paper that compared endemism in fishes throughout the world (Hawaii still has the highest percent).  We submitted it to Pacific Science, and it was rejected.  I have published more papers in ichthyology than anyone in history, and this would rank among the best.  We will submit it elsewhere.

All the  best for 2014.
Aloha, Jack
An unusual pattern for a Guiness, wouldn't you say?

   So there you have it.  Not only has Dr. Randall published more papers than anybody else, I'd be willing to bet that he holds the record for most field guides published, as well.  The picture to which he refers is not on page 86 in Shore Fishes of Hawai'i, 1998, but I'm sure there are many more from which to choose.

    Oh.  And if those uppity wise guys at Pacific Whatever think that paper isn't going to get published?  Well,  (Expletive Deleted)  them and the Horseshoe Crab they rode in on.  

    And finally, when I look at that extremely useful head shot, I am more than a little embarrassed that I didn't figure it out for myself.

A Surge Savard slap shot  from the blue line!
     Having made the most out of an eel that we all see at least once a week, I will move on to something that I hardly ever see.  On New Year's Eve, early in the afternoon, Sandra and I went swimming on the PAR side of the pier.  Things were hopping on the King Kam beach with lots of swimmers, kayaks and paddle boarders in the channel by the heiau.  The swell was just rough enough to get the debris suspended in the water.

    Five yards before the end of the rip rap, I looked towards the heiau and saw this adult Surge Wrasse.  You may recall that I saw an immature Surge Wrasse just this last summer at beach 69.  Prior to that, I do not have clear memory of seeing this species,

Thalasoma purpureum, the Surge Wrasse, Kailu Kona 2013
T. purpureum to the Linnaean's in the audience.  I had to call my son, who was put through a living hell looking at reef fish in Kona during his school holidays.  James is certain that, back in the day, we saw Surge Wrasse with a face pattern rather frequently.  Twenty plus years ago the field guides weren't nearly so good and it was more difficult to sort out this identification.  Today we can say with certainty that T. trilobatum never has a face pattern.  And we stopped caring about him six days ago when he failed to live up to his RSVP.

    All kidding aside, I have not seen an adult Surge Wrasse in a few years and I was so happy to see this big green bruiser.  After taking three pictures  (the best of which you see here) I cleared my spot, Sandra got a good look, and Surge Savard swam over the rocks and into history.  Or is it the future?  At any rate, he was gone.  Be assured I will look in that eddy by the heiau regularly on my way to the PAR.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou,
jeff

Editors note:  Serge Aubrey "The Senator" Savard, OC, CQ is a retired professional ice hockey defenceman, most famously with the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League. He is the Senior Vice President, Hockey Operations with the Montreal Canadiens.  Go Habs.


6 comments:

  1. With the multitude of new pain devices how can anyone know which is which? Read on for the standard devices and the pros and cons of each general type plus a short history of how we have used forms of electricity to positively affect our health. https://aihunting.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one is aiming to go hunting, bow hunting broadheads are the most important tools in your toolkit. It is very important that one selects the best suited bow broadhead. Visit to know more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!

    It’s the little changes which will make the largest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

    Survival Hunting Tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informational & nice photos. Thanks!
    Jerry [adventurefootstep]

    ReplyDelete