Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Quick Shout Out to Laurie and Jordan...and Ross. And an Invitation to Parents

   Today, the day after the Huskies put BYU in their proper place (losers), I had a very pleasant swim down
The Next Generation Knows, "Its Great To Be a Husky!"
 at the pier.  Following that momentous bowl win, I was sure that this day would yield something good for a loyal  Husky.

   At two in the afternoon, it wasn't too hot and the water was clear and calm.  Calmer than my living room the previous evening, I'll tell ya. 

   And the fish were good. Immediately, hiding in the coral just past the sand, I saw a small Milletseed Butterfly.  He dodged back and forth in his coral chunk, never allowing a picture.  I have such a soft spot for the (now uncommon) Milletseed.  Awww.
 
Shortly thereafter a large fish appeared fifteen feet in front of me.  My first thought was that it was a a big barracuda.  But no, it was a milkfish.  As I pursued him, it was apparent that he had at least five friends
Milletseed Butterfly, Kailua Pier, 2012
(named Chocolate, Silk, Goat, Homogenized and Butter.)   Just as I was gearing up for the chase, I spotted a Shortnose Wrasse.  It was a tough choice , but you know old 2% and his five friends can swim a lot faster than me, so I stopped to look at Shorty.  This little fish may be the prettiest fish on the reef.  And even though I saw my first one only a couple years ago, he is actually not terribly rare.  But being so small, he is difficult to photograph.  It was my luck today that I got a good look but he got away before I could get a picture.

 As if all these unusual fish weren't enough, I looked up to the malecon and spotted my good friend Ross MacArthur scooting by, his Hawaiian flag flapping jauntily in the breeze.  I yelled,  "Ross!" (What else would you yell?  Herman?)   But I guess the traffic noise on Alii Drive  was too great and he scooted on by.  If I was a really, really good friend  I would have aborted the swim and headed in for a chat.  As I am apparently a mediocre friend (what can I say?), I headed on out to the palace.
The Shortnose Wrasse out on the PAR,  October 2012

     There was nothing spectaccular out there ( a bunch of Black Durgons herding some large scad) and soon I was swimming back in.  Right by the first swim buoy I got a Blacktail Wrasse.  We have seen this unusual fish several times in this location, close in at the pier, and its obviously something you need to be prepared for.

    You may be thinking, that's a pretty good outing, but the best was yet to come.  Just as I was peeling off my fins I noticed two girls of ten or so.  They had matching pink masks and were obviously looking at the fish, albeit the ones very close to the pier.   I cautiously introduced myself and asked if they were looking at the fish.  How pleased I was when Laurie and Jordan started telling me what fish they had seen!  I pointed out to the first swim buoy and explained that there were better fish right out there.  Then they asked, "Aren't you going to swim out there with us?"
Blacktail Wrasse, December 28, 2013, Kailua Pier

     Well, be still my fish watchin' heart.  Luckily, a benevolent grandmother was nearby to give permission and off we went.  There was a school of scad and four handsome ulua just off the sand, and Iexplained that they were like the gazelles and the lions.  (or is it the Huskies and the BYU Cougars?)  Then we saw some threadfins and the Blacktail Wrasse swam by.

    At this point, it was obvious that Jordan had dropped out.  We checked on her and then continued, seeing a pair of Oval and a pair of Lined butterflies, finishing off with a nice pair of Barred Filefish.  I was convinced that Laurie was actually keeping track.

    As we headed for home, we were apprehended by Laurie's mother, who was very nice about a stranger swimming away with her daughter.  We shook hands and I told her what a pleasure it had been to show her daughter the fish.  She said it was probably very nice for Laurie, as well.  Exhibiting a modicum of good judgement, I didn't get any pictures of the girls.  But it was an honor to be able to show an interested kiddo our fish.  Maybe she'll grow up to be the next Jacqueline Cousteau.

    I'll add pictures tomorrow, but if Laurie and her very understanding parents are out there and they would like to have another snorkeling lesson, it is no secret that I can be contacted at jhill257@gmail.com.   And if any of you other moms or dads wants to send your precocious child on a quick fish watch, don't be shy.  Send me an email.

jeff

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, elegant and intelligent, owls are also very efficient at reducing rodent populations. That makes them a gardener's best friend. Learn how easy it is to attract these amazing and helpful birds to your own backyard. digihunting

    ReplyDelete