Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Palani and His Friends

Palani, Acanthurus dussumieri, Kailua Pier 2012
   A couple days ago we went swimming at the pier.  It was blazing hot, so it felt good to get in the cool water.  It was a relief to get out of the heat.  Initially the water was cloudy, but as we swam out, it cleared and I found myself in the company of a cooperative Palani.  This larger surgeonfish (for whom one of our chief thoroughfares is named) is far from unusual.  I'm not sure if the palani is tasty, but as a species this fish is wary of swimmers, especially if one dives with a camera.  As a consequence, I have not taken a really good picture of the Palini.  Thanks to his stalwart individual, we now have a picture suitable for an album.

Saddleback Butterfly Looking
     The day before we nabbed the Palani, I swam at Kahaluu.  Sandra stayed on the beach with her novel, having just completed water aerobics, so I was exploring solo.  On that outing I saw the first Saddleback Butterflyfish of this iteration.  SBB61.2!   It was a nice pair that swam through a patch of clear water, enabling me to catch this nice photograph.  What do you suppose that this fellow is searching for?  I've always thought that the Saddleback Butterfly might be Hawaii's prettiest fish.  This guy is certainly a peach.  And curious.





Undulating Undulated  (Moray
And a day before that I went swimming on the Paul Allen side of the pier.  Going out was the usual suspects, but I was trying hard for something special to compete with Sandra's Snake Eel.  What I came up with was this picture of an Undulated Moray eponymously  undulating.

Psyche Rocks









Do we have space for one more picture?  I've been experimenting with taking pictures of the bottom and then maxing out the saturation.  I figure if I get good enough at this I can put together a show for the MOMA in San Francisco.  So what do think?  Does Jackson Pollock eat is heart out?  Is Peggy Guggenheim on the phone?  Stay tuned.

Well.  Thanks for putting up with this potpourri of underwater art.  Stay cool on these hot summer days and see a fish for me.

jeff



No comments:

Post a Comment