Monday, December 19, 2011

A Paul Allen Update

  Is Santa boarding his 'copter for a ride to the estate?
   Christmas is just around the corner. With that in mind, those of us on the beach in Kailua are looking for the Santa Claus-esque Paul Allen and his eight reindeer, or rather his yacht and helicopter.  So in the spirit of the return of Paul Allen (whatever that might be) I took a couple swims this week along his eponymous shoreline.
    The first of my explorations on Paul Allen's Reef was in the company of the son-in-law of my dear friend Ross McArthur.  As you may recall, Ross is a Canadian.  There's a lot of Canadians over-wintering here in Kona.  Sometimes it seems like every time you turn over a chunk of coral rubble you find a bunch of Canucks reveling in the imminent collapse of The Land of the Brave.  I'm like, where the hell do you think you are?  Toronto?
     Anyway, David is a sweet guy about the size and shape of Paul Bunyan (not Paul Allen).  This is his first trip to Hawaii and his swim with me was the first time he had donned mask and flippers in anger.  This fish finding is serious business.
The elusive Potter's Angelfish, Kailua Pier. 
    Lucky for me,  David is a really good swimmer  (he's too big for me to rescue) and we snorkeled out about two hundred yards uneventfully.  As we made the club house turn, David signaled me to look at  a large school of needlefish.  This is a really good year for needlefish.  Being largely translucent, they don't photograph especially well.  They were quite pretty in the afternoon sun.
    As we headed in we received our reward: a Potter's Angelfish hovering above the coral in about ten feet.  This fish is usually seen in thirty feet or more and Kona sunlight made him dazzlingly beautiful.  After I showed him to David, I got the photo you see here.  This is a deep dwelling and furtive fish and this may be my best photo of a Potter's.
The Baby Black Durgon,  Kailua Pier December 2011
    The following afternoon I repeated the swim solo.  Its always better to have a second set of eyes, but sometimes God wants you to swim alone.  Like the day before, the sun was out, the water was Kona clear but it was only the usual suspects on the way out.  On the way back, however, as I was looking for the Potters Angel,  I had a quick look at the orange-tailed immature of the Pink-tailed Triggerfish.  This was a solid two second look, but too brief for a photo.  You may recall from a few weeks ago when I was trumpeting my find out in front here at Alii Villas as a really rare sighting.  I had never seen one before in thirty years.  Sometimes when you see a species, bird or fish, you get a sense of the animal and its easier to find it in the future.  That may be the case here. This  immature is quick to seek cover in the coral, but she is extremely distinctive.  i can't believe I've been swimming over this fish all this time.  Rather, I think there's something special about the ocean here in Kona this fall.  The Blessing of the Creepy Calm.
Coral Blenny,  Kailua Pier December 2011
     On the way in I was graced with an immature Black Durgon and a great look at the recently renamed Coral Blenny.

     I hope Paul Allen leaves something nice in your stocking.  A Christmas Wrasse would seem appropriate.  Or would you rather have a stack of fifities?

jeff   

No comments:

Post a Comment