Monday, November 21, 2011

We're sure to see something good on the way in.

Yesterday Sandra and I went to the King Kam and swam out past the heiau onto Paul Allen's reef.  On the way out I got a very quick glimpse of the after half of a fan tailed filefish.  In the late 1980s this beautiful fish used to be extremely common.  Then the population crashed and it became very rare.  I was lucky to see 1
Open your white mouth, damn it!

individual last year hiding in the boulders at Honokohau.  So now I've seen half a fantail filefish for this year.  I also got this picture of a white mouth moray.  It appears that he closed his white mouth as I snapped the pic.
     Following that sighting we swam out a couple hundred yards.  The water was warm and clear and the usual suspects put in an appearance.  As we turned for home, we said to each other, as we always do, "We'll see something good on the way in."
   Over the rip rap, next to the heiau, Sandra called my name and exclaimed "Frogfish!"  I've never seen a frogfish.  I would give either of my two sons to see a frogfish.  (For that matter, I would give either of my two sons for a $6.99 platter of fish and chips.)   Regardless, it wasn't a frogfish.  I think Sandra knew it wasn't, but
The Devil Scorpionfish,  Scorpaenopsis diabolus, King Kam 11/20/2011
that was the first thing that popped into her head.  On the other hand, a well illuminated Devil Scorpionfish ain't chopped liver.   I hope you like the pictures.  And I hope when you go snorkeling you have  a sharp-eyed, brave and adorable swimming buddy to find you a good fish on the way in.
Happy Birthday to my brother Chuck,
jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment