Friday, December 30, 2022

Cooperative Hunting at the Kailua Kona Pier or A Mighty Fortress is Our Dog

Yesterday dawned clear and bright with fluffy clouds in a blue sky.  It was also one of high surf, which caused a bit of hesitation, but, in the event, we did the right thing and  made it down to the pier before 9AM. It was high tide, with water swirling against the seawall.   In spite of this,there was a battalion of recreational swimmers around the cubbies and standing waist deep in the surging water on the Ironman side of the pier.

The first Christmas Wrasse in the Inner Harbour.


  But no worries...I had decided to go to the Paul Allen side, which of late has been more productive. 

     I dropped my belongings beneath the palm by the Kona Boys shack, and stepped onto the sand.  This was a serious high tide and water lapped around my feet as I changed.  A chubby young lady in a colorful suit came with her bearded young consort to pick up their stuff from the same ledge.   "Another day in paradise!" my standard greeting, to which she replied, "I'll say!  Its super clear out there!"

      The best news a snorkeler can hear!

The third Christmas Wrasse led us to the hunt.
    As I stumbled my way into the cold water of the Inner Harbour, I had to agree; at least in the sandy shallows the water was surprisingly clear.  It wasn't long until I was swimming beside the king's heiau and encountered a Christmas Wrasse.  This fish was a little bigger than the juvenile we saw on Christmas Eve, and dressed in the bright checkered colors of the adult.  Happily, I followed him for a photo and found that he was hunting with a female Ember Parrotfish.  This may be Sandra's favorite association, although it is better with an adult male parrot, a giant blue and green submarine of a fish, and a larger Christmas Wrasse.

   Photos taken, I made my way through the surging water, which was becoming progressively warmer.  Out by the jetty and large protective rip rap,  I encountered a second Christmas Wrasse.  This one was bigger and almost as plump as the colorfully suited maiden by Kona Boys.  And he was fast, gone before I could get off a shot.  But never mind.  Two Christmas Wrasses was a great omen for the day.  

The brilliant Ulua is the Master of the Hunt.
    And this was a day in need of omens;  in seven hours our beloved Huskies would square off against the Longhorns hard by the Alamo.   A bowl game more like a home game for the Texans.  We needed all the Christmas Wrasses we could get!

    Out in the bay, the water was definitely warmer ...Tides 4 Fishing called it a balmy 78 degrees.   Swimming across the bay to Paul Allen's lagoon, I hitched on to  third Christmas Wrasse, this one bigger yet.  I followed him for a short distance and suddenly I found myself in the middle of the action.  There were large Blue Goatfish and a respectable ulua hunting together.  I counted three goatfish.  Three is the number that we invariably observe hunting with an ulau.  One might wonder if the three goatfish are related.  Is it a pride like three hunting lionesses?  The trio was swimming rapidly and with purpose, their bright golden saddles brilliant in the sunlight.   The trevally, which is the maser of the hunt, was right with them.  As he circled his electric blue stripes and spots shimmered.

A Blue Goatfish with the Whitemouth Moray

    As I watched, the hunt was joined by an I'iwi, the male Bird Wrasse.  The I'iwi  was followed by a Rockmover.  And then a large Whitemouth Moray Eel joined in the hunt, racing like a Chinese Dragon over the reef, keeping pace with the carousing goatfish.  Eels can be good swimmers, something that one needs to keep in mind,.  Nevertheless, it is remarkable when you see them put on the speed to keep up with hunting goatfish. What a sight!

    I watched this circus for at least five minutes.  Strange to think that all of these different fish had a role in the hunt, but we have seen it before and it must be so. 

    After a bit, the hunt moved away.   As I completed my swim I had some time for contemplation. Indeed, when you are out swimming by yourself you are at one with the ocean and your mind.  Come Kanaloa, be with the Huskies.

     In the event, amid great feats of teamwork, the Huskies overcame the spread, emerging victorious.   And, as they say at the Dyslexic Lutheran Church of Tacoma, Washington, "A mighty fortress is our Dog."

jeff

Rockmover, Paul Allen's Reef, December 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment