Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Its a Hawaiian Vacation!

    Sandra and I have slowly come to a realization.  When our friends and relatives come to visit us here in Kona, they are coming for a Hawaiian Vacation.  Many  take long journeys by themselves, seeking out
The reef fish would play second fiddle to Kona Shave Ice
our Polynesian culture and enjoying the physical beauty of the Big Island.  A few of our guests have been determined to take arduous hikes.  And all of them like to shop. 
 
      Recently we were visited by a good friend and her 13 year old granddaughter.  Five years ago, Aubre  gained our everlasting gratitude by babysitting our cat.  Knowing that she liked animals, I naturally presumed that she would be fascinated by our fish.  I engage in this particular transference fairly often. It goes without saying, that when one attempts to impose their monomaniacal obsessions on others, they are setting themselves up for a disappointment.  That this version of Hawaiian
Humu humu nuku nuku apua'a
Vacation involved dramatically more shopping than fish watching is probably not much of a surprise to any of you.

    Our guests arrived on Sunday, the morning when Casa Ono was pounded by rain of Biblical proportions. The day before the islands had been hit by a monster swell.  That Sunday afternoon,  we stood under umbrellas and watched the waves pound on the rocks.  

     By Monday, it was only cold and cloudy and drizzly.  Celebrating this improving meteorological trend, the four of us made our way down to the Kailua pier.  Amid the pattering raindrops, Aubre and I did her introductory snorkel in the Inner Harbour.  Despite familial worries, she swam like a fish, patiently holding position off my shoulder while we sought out additional species.  And in these chilly, dark and cloudy waters, we saw a fair number of fish.  Twenty one species in the 25 minutes relegated to us by the observers who took shelter under the eaves by
 the showers.  This included five butterflyfish, five wrasses and six surgeons.  And, of course, the redoubtable Humu humu nuku nuku apua'a.   While this may not be earth shaking news, I will now be more supportive when I see beginners limiting themselves to this peaceful inlet.

    Due to conditions beyond my control, we did not get a chance to don our snorkels in anger for three more days.  Finally, we arranged a day at the beach. Naturally,  Sandra and I chose the best beach, Ho'okena.  There were no dolphins, but the surf on shore was minimal and the three of us were soon swimming into the clear water.   Almost immediately,  we saw an aspricaudus.  Such is the rarity of the Yellowtail Filefish, that I'm pullin' a Jack Randall on ya.  This is a sighting worthy of some note.  I have only
The uncommon Pervagor aspricaudus at Honokohau
seen aspricaudus at the Dog Beach, which due to the presence of Tiger Sharks and rank cowardice on my part, I no longer visit.  Frankly, I did not think I would see that fish again in these Very Sandwich Islands.  Now it is on the list for 2014 with an exclamation mark!
     On the outer reef we were lucky to see a school of Heller's Barracuda.  aubre got right out to them and saw the blue stripe. Before 2014 I had seen Heller's only at the Dog Beach.  A couple weeks ago I saw a small school on the outer bank of the PAR.   With this sighting at Ho'okena, I am left with the conclusion that they are more common.  

    On the way back to the beach, we got a couple good looks at cleaning stations.   Aubre listened patiently while we discussed the hypnotic effect that the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse has on a wide variety of reef fish.   A bit later, we had her identify another cleaning station.
The Gilded Triggefish is AWOL at Ho'okena.

     Before we got out, the three of us took a swim straight out for about 100 yards, hoping to see our old friend, the Gilded Triggerfish.  Just as happened with James and Tara a couple weeks earlier, we saw a pair of Flame Angelfish.   But try as we might, we did not see the Gilded Trigger.  for several years I have regarded this species as a sure thing at Ho'okena, which is the only place that I have seen it with some regularity.  I really like this fish and I hope that we will see it at Ho'okena the next time we are there.
 

     This was Aubre's only swim in clear water and I'm sure she enjoyed herself.  It was a lot of fun having her here and I'm glad to say that she really enjoyed the fish and the shopping.  And at the end of the day, Having fun is what a Hawaiian Vacation is all about!

jeff


      

No comments:

Post a Comment