Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Yellowtail Coris and Elegant Hermits at Kahalu'u

Elegant Hermit Crab, Kahalu'u 2021
 Last Friday I went swimming at Kahalu'u with a goal.  It is apparent that Elegant Coris is no longer prevalent at Kahalu'u, but it occurred to me that no one was looking for the juveniles which are much less obvious than the adults.  I reasoned that a juvenile or two might be found if I investigated a number of mixed juvenile schools.
 

    I did find several schools of juveniles poking around in the rubble.  Saddle and Belted wrasse, Bullethead and Ember parrotfish were well represented, but I did not find a single Elegant Coris in these mixed schools of juveniles.  Sadly, this is what I expected.  

   I did turn up a couple nice Elegant hermit crabs.  The first was sitting on a ledge eating his lunch and I was able to nab his photo without bothering him.  As you can see the shell he is wearing is so worn as to make identification difficult. 

Elegant hermit Crab in Small Strawberry Drupe, Kahalu'u 2021

    The second of these hermits attracted my attention because of the shell he was calling home.  I saw a small, nicely horned strawberry drupe clinging to the side of a large piece of rubble. I plucked it and saw the hermit crab inside.  As I often do, I put the shell in a depression with the aperture facing up.  The crab came out immediately, waving his arms, hoping for some purchase. If you looked at it in the right way you might think he was beckoning for assistance. Doesn't he look cute with the corona of protuberances, like a crown or a bonnet.  Don't worry.  I returned him aperture down to a coral niche, safe and sound.

 

 


     Towards the end of the swim I encountered a large number and variety of fish chilling in the pahoehoe lava near the entrance. Chilling is the right word as the water is now about 72 degrees.  I'm presenting here short movies of both a large male Yellowtail Coris and a handsome female / initial phase.  They are both pretty fish.  I have always loved the constellation of shiny blue spots on the flank of the female.  


   In the video you can really appreciate the way this species is constantly checking out the bottom, poking at the substrate and turning over rocks, while looking for a tasty invertebrate. 

    Where ever you are, I hope you are staying safe.  And if you can't be in the water looking for fish perhaps you can dream up a reef of your own.

jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment