Thursday, November 29, 2018

Is the Kona Pier Worthy?

    We have returned from our travels, surviving grandchildren, a multitude of wonderful Mexicans and a brace of airports.  Somewhere along the way, Sandra picked up a virus.  Between getting her well, catching up with two months worth of gardening and all the other details, it took more than a week for me to get into the water.  This was made all the more dramatic as I needed to shave my vacation beard prior to snorkeling. 
Stripe Belly Puffer,  Kahalu'u 2015

    For my inaugural swim, I made my way down to the Kona pier.  Home, sweet home.  We are in a period of significant swell and each day we watch the surfers down at Banyans from the distant safety of our lanai.  Never the less, the pier was remarkably calm for my snorkel.  The water was a bit
cloudy, but not not terribly so.  And the water is only a little cooler than when we left in October; it will drop another ten degrees by the middle of February.

     Mindful of the recreational swimmers I made my way out, seeing a fair representation of usual suspects.  Out by the last swim buoy there was a small stripe bellied puffer on the sand, a mu or two and small scribbled filefish who swam away wiki wiki before we could nab a picture.

    Back by the pier, I slipped under the floating line and checked out the area where the cruise ship
Helmeted Gurnard, three inch juvenile, Kailua Pier, Ironman side, November 2018
boards.  There was nothing special there, either.  At this point I was questioning my judgement.  We have friends coming from Oregon who have been competent snorkelers in the past, but haven't donned their mask and fins in five years.  They are looking forward to going to City of Refuge and Ho'okena and they are considering a snorkel at Mahukona, as well.  They are only going to be here for four days, not counting their days of travel, and I seem to have convinced them that a shakedown snorkel at the pier is a good idea.  Now I'm wondering...is this a waste of their limited time?

   Pondering this as I swam back under the floating line and headed for the shore, I was suddenly confronted by a small gurnard.  He was a handsome little fellow and tolerated multiple photographic approaches.  Here you see the best photo.  It certainly demonstrates those spiny rakes on the edge of his wings, with which he forages for his daily bread.

   This fish is not at all common; we probably see one ever year or so.  And he seemed to be telling me that the pier is still worth a try on a given day.  It certainly was on this one.

jeff

  

No comments:

Post a Comment