Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Whale Story From City of Refuge

   Last Monday Sandra and I made a spur of the moment decision to go to City of Refuge.  We arrived around 10:30, so there was no need to wait for the fish to wake up; we changed quickly and made our way to the Two Step entry.  This winter, there has been a large number of people sunning themselves on that particular patch of lava...we had to thread our way between bodies to get to the bay. 

    We had picked this day because the internet promised relatively flat conditions.  This time it was correct and we made the entry without any difficulty.  Luckily, all those people occupying space on the lava did not translate into heavy traffic at the entrance. 

    Swimming around to the north cusp, we saw a modest number of usual suspects.  In hopes of seeing the African Pompano we patrolled over the deeper water.  We did not see that threadfin jack, but about forty feet down we could just make out a female Hawaiian hogfish.  This is actually a pretty rare animal at snorkeling depths here in Kona.  It was my first one for 2015 and I won't be surprised if it is the only one for the year.

     On the way back, we saw a pair of Hawaiian Dascyllus breeding.  For their matrimonial bed they had selected a head of lobe coral about 15 feet down.  They were a gorgeous white with extremely dark faces
I dive down, they dive down.
 and tails.  The space they had selected in the coral was just the right size for two to do the hootchey kootchey.

     Having bragged about the clear water the week before, I feel obligated to tell you that there were significant patches of dark, cloudy water interspersed in the bay.  I took a quick trip outbound while Sandra headed in.  About fifty yards straight out, I saw four Pyramid Butterflyfish.  Of course, I tried to get a picture, but when I dove to get closer, they dove to keep their distance.

    Soon, sweetie and I were threading our way through the throng.  Being cold creates a bit of spastic ataxia, so I may have bumped into a couple of chit chatters on the way.  Whoops. 

    While we were out, a couple had parked their chairs on the lava hump adjacent to our warming wash bottle.  Never the less, we were able to take our improvised shower, get changed and settle down in our beach chairs for some lunch. 

     In my description of this bay, written a couple years ago, I put forth the assertion that you should arrive early if you want to see dolphins.  Further, if they haven't made an appearance by noon, you are probably free to leave.  Well, eithr this day was the exception that proves the rule, or I am full of you know what.  A small pod of dolphins arrived just as  I started in on the second half of my peanut butter and banana sandwich.  Apparently I am too lazy to walk across the street to watch a piss ant eat a bale of hay (Willie Nelson speaking of Waylon Jennings) because I just sat there, continued eating and watched other people get their dolphin time. 

    But then!  About fifteen minutes after the dolphins arrived, a petite lady tourist  announced to the assemble multitude that she saw a whale off shore.  Indeed, we could see it spout about a half mile out in the sea. It sounded once and the next thing we knew, it was much closer.  The whale came all the way into the bay,

 getting within ten yards of the twenty or so snorkelers that were out there with the dolphins.  At this point, it was probably a mere 70 yards off shore. 

    It was very light in color, a lighter gray than the side of the coast guard cutter that occasionally spends a night at anchor in Kailua.  And it was substantially smaller than the breeding adult humpback whales we have seen at a similar distance.  Our best guess is that it was a one year old humpback.  Research will reveal that t is highly unusual for false killer whale to come close to shore.  Further, that whale sports a relatively tall, narrow dorsal fin, hence imitating an orca.. Duplicitously.  

   How I wish I had been in the water at this instant.  Did I have time to throw my suit back on when the dolphins arrived?  I will always wonder.  And did I have time to fish the  water camera out of my swimsuit that was only five feet away?  See Willie and Waylon above.


jeff 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment