Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Making the Most of A Shark

    Hot on the heels of the great shark  abuse imbroglio out at Honokohau, we arrived yesterday afternoon at Kahalu'u to find the beach closed.  There was a sign on the beach alerting one and all to the Shark Sighting.
  攻撃 How Could a Shark Attack These Cuties?
The friendly lifeguard (Not!) had even called two of Kailua's Finest to be on hand in the event that someone should attempt to enter the shark infested waters.  I suppose that if one insisted on swimming with the shark, the men in blue would have no alternative but to shoot you.  The ensuing exsanguination would then attract even more sharks, proving their point beyond a reasonable doubt.

    There was no swimming to be done, but the chances for improving international relations were almost boundless.  I went down to the littoral to nab a picture of the Shark Citing sign, only to find a Japanese gentleman ahead of me.  He was photographing the sign with his four cute girls to provide human interest.  I assumed that  he was Japanese because he was speaking to the on'nanoko (girls) in Japanese.   After he got his shot, the on'nanoko wandered off.   I asked if I could include his daughters in my picture, as well.  The dad spoke to his daughters (heaven only knows what he said) and the and the results speaks for itself.  Domo arigato.
Yoshi and His Family.  Waiting for the Shark.

    Having made the most of that opportunity, I spotted my good friend Yoshi and his family milling around on the beach.   They've been hanging around K Bay for about a week.  A few days ago, attracted to their handsome red swim shirts, I screwed up my courage and attempted to ask about the shirts.  Yoshi speaks very little Engilish, so on my first attempt I didn't learn much, except that the shirts were purchased in Japan.  With such paltry information, I was unable to find the shirts on the internet.  

   Well, as there was little else to do and as Yoshi had proved to be such a good sport, this seemed like the ideal time to show him that (in these United States) no good deed goes unpunished.  So I approached Familia Yoshi for a second time.  He was still in good humor, but wondered what time the beach would re-open for swimming.  I said, "How the heck do I know?"   And then I asked if he would tell me the manufacturer of his shirt.  Which looks even better on the two josei, but I didn't tell him that.
Why is he talking about me?  I don't even like swimming.

   The answer was Mont-Bell, a clothing company founded in Japan by  Isamu Tatsuno, whose lifelong goals were to climb the Eiger and sell moutaineering equipment.  Sounds like he should be working for (or own) REI.  Just to show that he is well rounded, Isamu also practices the Tea Ceremony and plays the Japanese flute.  Which may make him the Nippon equivalent of Rajesh Koothrappali. 

    At any rate, I tracked down Mont-Bell on the internet.  They are going to open a flagship store in Portland next month, but there is no way that we here on this side of the pond can buy one of their swim shirts...in Portland or on Amazon.com Mont-Bell sells only running, climbing and winter sports equipment.  I don't need another high end parka.  Anyway, as far as I can tell, Mont-Bell is not currently producing snappy red swim shirts.
Look at Sandra's Cute Eyes!
 畜生 (This is the symbol for chikusho, which is the equivalent of  "Damn it!"   An indication of frustration and failure.) Yoshi and his ladies were happy to pose for a picture and we said sayanora.  And watch out for the shark!    攻撃

    As a parting cultural tidbit, I'd like to point out that in both of the pictures, the Japanese girls held up the V sign.  In Japan, this dates back to 1972 and the Sapporo Olympics.  Janet Lynn,  a U.S. figure skater gave a plucky performance and became a minor  celebrity.  Everywhere she went, she flashed the peace sign.  If you are my age, you will remember those days.  The Japanese, especially young women, began imitating her  peace sign.  Its now a singular Japanese gesture, especially for girls being photographed.  It may mean peace and sometimes they will say "Peace!", but its more in the fashion that we say,"Cheeeese!"  Its more likely to mean "I'm ready to have my picture taken."    It is said that when they hold the peace sign near their face, it is to draw your attention to their smiling eyes.  And possibly away from their cute bodies!

jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment