Friday, March 22, 2013

A Face Off

   I think I'm getting old.  For the third time recently I have arrived at the water's edge with my fins somewhere else.  And I think I must be getting crazy, too, because I figure it must be fate, God's will, what
Rockmover and Snowflake Investigate the Same Rock
ever, and go for my swim anyway.  Each time it seems a little special; certainly it requires a heightened level of thoughtfulness.

    Yesterday I swam at Kahalu'u.  It was high tide at mid-day so the entry was easy.  I scooted out between the legs of the mob and because of my lack of appropriate propulsion, I was obligated to remain fairly close to the entry.  And of course, I was swimming much slower and looking at each rock a little more carefully.

    Early on I saw a miniature Undulated Moray Eel poke his nose out from under an algae covered stone, bare his fangs (although I can't imagine that anyone was scared) and swam free for about a foot or so to another stone where he disappeared.  You may think this is inconsequential. but I haven't seen an undulated in months, so I thought it was a pretty good find.
Rockmover and Snowflake Moray Face Off

     Soon there after, I saw a large Snowflake Moray Eel swimming towards me with a Rockmover watching him.  The eel probed under a rock and the Rockmover was right with him.  I assume that Mr. R was hoping that something delicious would pop out from under the rock, fleeing the sharp jaws of the eel, only to satisfy the appetite of this nosy fish.   Both Rockmovers and larger Yellowtail Coris (and Threadfins and Stripe Belly Puffers) pay close attention to us snorkelers, especially if we are turning over rocks, looking to see what might be underneath.  They  are clearly hoping that we will reveal a tidbit.  In fact, this is a really good trick if you want to attract the attention from some of the more common fish.

 The eel tolerated this attention only so long.  Almost immediately he ceased foraging and went nose to nose with the Rockmover.  "Back off, Boogaloo!" he seemed to say.   And we were there to record the face off!
 Honor Restored, the Snowflake Moray Swims Away.

   I had not seen a fish hunt with an eel before.  It is common to see Many Bar Goatfish hunt together with Day Octopus.  And  Ulua hunt with Blue Goatfish all the time.  In both those cases it seems that both parties benefit.  From the actions of the Snowflake Moray, one would assume that he felt all the benefit accrued to the Rockmover.  After making his displeasure known, the eel slithered away to a rocky refuge.

    I hope you enjoyed this gripping tail of symbiosis (or not!)   I apologize that my shadow dims the exciting photo of the face off.  and I hope that we all see something interesting the next time we go in the sea.  Oh! And don't forget your flippers.

jeff    





   

1 comment:

  1. You haven't seen an eel and fish hunting together before? I saw that several times...at least...while diving Bonaire. I also snorkeled...so...maybe I also saw that behavior while snorkeling. In fact, I'd be surprised if I didn't see the behavior while doing both activities as it's easier to spot in the shallows. I have a picture on my Flickr page with the comment: Sharptail Snake Eel hunting with a Red Hind Sea Bass. I would have to look at the time stamp and my dive log to verify whether I was diving or snorkeling.

    ReplyDelete