Monday, October 8, 2012

Ironman Heats Up with a Shortnose Wrasse

Ironman Racers Training on Alii Drive
    It has become increasingly  apparent that we here in Kona are in the midst of a world class event.  The number of Ironman participants increases daily along with spectators.  The biggest surprise has been the number of foreign athletes.  We see them swimming and running and zipping around town on their fancy bikes.  And talking in a variety of peculiar foreign languages.  A large Belgian contingent speaks Flemish.

  While the triathletes are otherwise distracted,  I take full advantage by hitting on their dishy SOs.  Yesterday  I observed a lady sitting on the pier for at least 45 minutes.  She was from Adelaide, of all places, and she was waiting for her man to return from the sea.  If only I had been wearing Old Spice.  We spoke briefly of the Barossa Valley, home of worthy red wine and a few good birds...the feathered kind. The conversation dwindled as her eyes returned to the restless ocean.   I  took my leave,  noting that her husband was bound to return sometime.   (As previously reported, drowning is not in the spirit of the Ironman.)
)
An Interlude for the Ironmen
 


   Today, as I wandered down to the pier, I was accosted by a series of poster boards bearing the likenesses of previous winners of the Ironman.  Bleachers now cover the sidewalk near the pier.  Curiously, they face the street.  Shouldn't they face the water where the swimming is going to take place?
Shortnose Wrasse male, Kailua Kona, October 2012, 3 feet
Of course, they face Alii Drive where the triathletes will stumble to the finish line.  I mean, can you imagine a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride followed by a marathon?  Oy!

    I was so full of Ironman spirit that I tried to volunteer.  The nice lady in the Ironman officeinside the King Kam hotel said that someone would call.  I'm still waiting.

    After leaving the Ironman office, I put on my swim shirt and trademark beanie and hit the beach.  The multitude around town corresponds to more people in the water...swimming, paddle boarding, kayaking and going for rides in overpowered zodiacs.

    I entered the water in front of the hotel and wound my way through all of the above.  Even out on Paul Allen's Reef it wasn't completely peaceful, but the water was very clear and surging moderately.  I took advantage of the mild conditions to patrol the shallows.  I was hoping for a Five Lined Wrasse, a beautiful species restricted to the shallow shelf facing the pounding sea.   Two winters back, we saw that uncommon fish a few times in the surging shallows in front of Kona Makai and twice here on the PAR.  I haven't seen one now in a year and a half and its not for lack of trying.  I'm very trying...just ask Sandra.
Shortnose Wrasse, Macropharyngodon geoffroy Oct. 2012


 
Anyway, I'm paddling along through the Kona Crystal, washing back and forth over the coral a scant two feet below my delicate torso, when suddenly I see a Shortnose Wrasse.  It was a beautiful little fish, about three inches in length with electric blue markings.  Dr. Randall tells us that the lines on his head make him a male.  And this guy was a stud.  He permitted me to flounder near him for about five minutes.  By getting the sun behind me, I was able to capture him with his blue marking fully illuminated. 

    This was only the second time I've seen this species.  Last year I saw one at Beach 69.  The water was a little cloudy, so pictures today were remarkably better.  That aside, Makaleia Bay is rather peaceful when compared to the wave washed
Five Line Wrasse, Kona Makai, January 2011, 2 feet
environment of the PAR.  None of my references state that this fish is not found in the wave washed shallows, but having seen my one and only shortnose in a peaceful bay, I figured that's where they belonged.  I guess, based on this sighting, that my single anecdotal experience led me to an erroneous conclusion.  And we should keep our eyes peeled for a third shortnose in every location, from Kona Makai to K Bay.  In the meantime, I'm gonna keep scouting the wave washed shallows.  If you see Mr. Five Line, tell him I'm looking for him.

jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment