Sunday, December 25, 2011

Have Yourself a Fishy Kona Christmas

Helmeted Gurnard, January 2011, Kailua Pier
    As we head toward the end of December, the ocean water is getting cooler.  We have yet to have our first big storm, though,  and the sand has yet to disappear at Magic Sands Beach.  In fact, the ocean has been quite peaceful over the last few days.  The cold, still water has produced some remarkably clear conditions for observing and photographing the fishes.
   There is a rumor of a Helmeted Gurnard at Kahaluu.  Everyone calls it a Flying Gurnard (the name of the similar Caribbean species) and why shouldn't they?  Both species sport the strange, wing-like pectoral fins that look like they are sustaining flight as this peculiar scorpionfish crawls across the bottom.  I spent two days last week swimming around and around the bay of fishes (that's what Kahalu'u means) looking for the gurnard to no avail.  However, I did see some wonderful examples of the usual suspects.  We got a great look at a fairly large Dragon Wrasse (the immature of the Rockmover).  Sandra and I like this picture of a Pinklip Parrotfish.  Can you believe that people eat this beauty? 
Pinklip Parrotfish,  Kahalu'u  December 2011

Flowery Flounder, Kailua Pier, December 2011
    We were lucky to take a couple swims at the pier, as well.  On the first day I shared the water with a singular fellow we call the Turtle-man.   We see TM at the pier rather frequently.  He's younger than me by perhaps a decade, but sports snow white hair and beard.  He enters the water fully clothed on hands and knees, crawling over the sandy shallows.  Revelling in the sand, he takes a virtual sand bath, following which he showers off, still fully clothed in his long pants and shirt.  Such are the denizens of my beach community.
Blacktail Wrasse, December 2011, Kailua Pier  Woof!
    Two days ago it was usual suspects on the way out, but just after the club house turn I saw a Flowery Flounder.  The flounder flew in hops across the bottom, trying to avoid me and my camera.  Finally he came to rest by a coral head.  There, emulating his cousin the ostrich, he placed hs head under the coral.  Out of sight, out of mind was his motto, and he permitted me to approach for this picture of his elegant flowery wardrobe.       Swimming back to the pier I received my Yuletide treat.  In the clear shallows I spotted an intermediate Blacktail Wrasse.  She was brave enough to stick around for one good photo before disappearing.  Not only is the fish in focus, this individual displays a tail pattern not demonstrated in either Randall's or Hoover's books.  I'm very proud of this picture.  Note, if you can, the fine red line on each scale!  This was only my second look at a mature blacktail and I'm still really excited.

   And yet, something is missing here at Alii Villas this Weihnachtszeit.  There is a body of thought that a mother Humpback is going to come and give birth in our manger on January 21, 2012.  The story goes that whales return to give birth at the same location every two years and it was almost two years ago when this blessed event took place on our very reef.  We have not seen any whales yet, but we have not given up hope.  Join with me, if you will, and sing the verse we all learned in German class back at the Washington State Home for the Bewildered,  " Freue dich, o freue dich, the whales in sight."  Now I know our side is going to win.  Or, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no Humpbacks.


How would an Ornate Butterfly look on your Christmas tree?
    Tomorrow is Christmas.  I hope Santa brings each of you your heart's desire.  I'm hoping for a Red Rider BB gun.  Failing that, I'll be looking for a Christmas wrasse.  And I'll try to see one for you.

jeff 

1 comment:

  1. Halyard Fluidshield Fog Free Procedure Ear Loop Masks of Level 3 standards consists of these features, Pleat style with earloops, Constructed with a patented combination of materials to resist fluid penetration upon impact, Breathable Film and Fog-free.

    ReplyDelete